We are independent from the standpoint that we are not regulated by a national headquarters. We are an autonomous church governed only by the Bible. We have no affiliation with the National Council of Churches or the World Council of Churches. We are dedicated to the Church founded by Christ in the first century as recorded in the book of Acts. We have no manmade creeds. We believe the Bible is enough.
Being independent has its privileges and challenges. We regularly support Missionary endeavors overseas. 100% of every dollar goes to the work of the Lord and is not filtered through an organization. We are not mandated by any institution as to the doctrine we are to embrace. We sincerely follow the Holy Spirit's leading as we try to carry on Christ's work. We are affiliated with other "Independent Christian Churches and Colleges" all over the world.
We have fundamental beliefs which we feel are given directly from God's Word:
- We believe that God created the world.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is God's One and Only Son.
- We believe in the Inspiration of God's Word.
- We believe that all men have sinned and that sin separates us from God.
- We believe that one who sins must repent from a sinful lifestyle and turn to Jesus Christ.
- We believe we are saved by faith in Jesus.
- We believe that a person who puts faith in Jesus Christ is to be baptized into that living hope.
- We believe that a Christian is given the gift of the Holy Spirit who resides in the life of every Christian.
- We believe that the Church is the Body of Christ and is called to carry on the work which He left for us to do.
- We believe that Christ will come again...not as a savior but to judge the living and the dead.
- We believe in a literal Heaven for the saved and Hell for the condemned.
We are only known as "Christians". While this name may seem generic to some we believe it to be important. Because we follow Christ and Christ alone and because the Bible says that there is no other name under heaven by which men can be saved; we proudly wear His name alone. We do not own First Christian. Christ does. We are merely imperfect people saved by His perfect blood and therefore trying to humbly do His bidding.
Our "Church" is not the facility that you might picture residing at 2106 South Main Street in Jacksonville. The Bible says that God does not dwell in a house made by human hands. The Church is God's people, His saved ones. You will find many warm, wonderful, caring people at First Christian. They are not perfect. Only by God's grace are we saved. We are imperfect but we try sincerely to follow His leading as revealed through His Word.
3D Vision of First Christian Church
- The Bible is our authority for life. (II Timothy 3:14-17)
- We discover God through His Word, prayer and worship. (Psalm 119:11, 105; Matthew 6:6; John 4:23-24; Philippians 4:6-7)
- Strong families are the foundation of a strong church. (Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Colossians 3:18-21; II Timothy 1:5)
- Life happens best in community. (Genesis 2:18a; Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Every believer is gifted to serve. (I Corinthians 12:7-11; Ephesians 4:11-15)
- Every believer is commanded to use their influence in the world for Christ. (Matt. 25:34-45; Romans 10:14-15; 12:4-8)